19 October 2008

Sounding off

Much has been made of the return to government of Peter Mandelson, now ennobled as Lord Mandelson, in his role as Business Secretary. I had forgotten how long he had been out of the cabinet, not least since the rise of David Cameron to the post of Leader of the Opposition, so it was not until today that I was struck by how similar their voices are. I am now thoroughly confused when I hear either Cameron or Mandelson on the radio, as I struggle to work out which one it is.

Maybe it's the logical conclusion of both parties copying each others policies, presentational style and techniques. It's not like you can even be sure when you hear their views, as both parties seem intent on muscling out each other for occupancy of the centre ground. I'm also unsure as to who should be most offended by the comparison.

No comments: